Brown Park, pictured here in 1949, officially became a park in 1906. Before that, the home of Georgia’s Civil War governor, Joseph Brown, stood here — at least until it was burned down by Gen. Sherman in his march to the sea in 1864.
The arch that no kid can resist was added by the Daughters of the Confederacy in 1923 as a monument to the Civil War dead.
New playsets have replaced some of see-saws but much remains the same today as it did in this snapshot from 65 years ago.
(Photo from “Canton Progress” scrapbook, R.T. Jones Library)